A Journey

This blog is about a journey...a continuously moving target of a journey about an everyday woman. A sometimes funny, sometimes difficult journey....but a journey nonetheless.

Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Temptation and Impulse Control

To go back to last night, it wasn't horrible.  I ate more than I should have, but not near as much as I would have before, or could have.  That being said, I was stuffed and it didn't feel good.  Note to self.

We have a "Healthy Trails" walking challenge at work that sends us daily emails about health, exercise, etc and the title today couldn't be more appropriate:  Impulse Control.  A good reminder to stick with my plan today which is "If I didn't bring it, I don't eat it".  But it's not always easy because there are lots of nice treats and meeting leftover goodies laying around that are so, so tempting.

In the area where my cubicle is, there is a table that is dedicated just to food.  Anything anyone brings gets put on that table for anyone to enjoy.  I lucked out and got an apple there yesterday, but today, someone brought some kind of dip and crackers.  I thought, "hmmmmmmmmmm, crackers would go nicely with my soup".  But then I thought "just walk on by, you have your planned food". And I did. And my soup and the low fat crackers I brought were just fine (I'm trying to convince myself they were way better than any Keebler Club cracker....)

This is the way I have to think.  I have to remind myself CONSTANTLY that I don't have to eat everything in my path.  I don't have to grab, hoard or stuff food in my face because it's there.  A saying that I try to remember is "That is not the last slice of pizza on earth".  And that fits anything that I see. I have to get back in the habit of reminding myself of that as I walk past all the homemade goodies and candy laying around.
One minute at a time.
One hour, one day at a time.
I can overcome emotional eating and compulsive overeating,
I can pass up temptation and exhibit Impulse Control.

I can.
I can and I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment