A Journey

This blog is about a journey...a continuously moving target of a journey about an everyday woman. A sometimes funny, sometimes difficult journey....but a journey nonetheless.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Setting expectations

A friend posted something today on Facebook that said:  If you expect good things to happen, they do.

I want so badly for that to be true.  I want to be able to set expectations for things and have them come true.  I want to expect that I will conquer the weight this time.  I want to expect that my children will always be well behaved.  I want to expect that my husband will always think I'm sexy and funny and beautiful.  I want to expect that my job will be there in the morning.  I want to expect that my friends and family will be healthy and happy.  I want to expect that I would have just one more healthy pregnancy.

I have a lot more expectations, and I have a lot of wishes.  I wish I could get more motivated to lose weight and I wish that I could expect more of myself and live up to it.  I have such good intentions everyday when I start out, but at some point, I just say "Screw it".  It might be stress at work, it might be stress from home...or something might just look really freaking yummy and I figure tomorrow is another day.   And I always forgive myself....or do I?  I don't know if I do or if I ignore myself, which is much more likely. 

If I expect my children to be courteous and respectful to others, shouldn't I expect myself to be respectful and courteous to me?  If I expect my employees to perform to a certain standard, shouldn't I expect myself to perform to a higher standard?  I could go on and on....and yes, I should expect more of myself.  And that in itself is an expectation.

So tonight, I'm going to expect myself to follow through.  To follow through on what I promise myself at the beginning of the day.  And I'm going to expect myself to tell you about it tomorrow.

That is my expectation....small, but a start right?

No comments:

Post a Comment